Sunday 18 November 2007

what do I want?

Hmmm, the future of gaming eh? I would like whats probably not going to happen, I'd like games companies to take risks. The market's starved for originality because it's not economically sensible, I'm feeling sorry for games designers coming up with great idea's and having it turned down in favour Halo 14.5. I think Nintendo Wii has taken the right tangent trying something new and interesting, it certainly appeals to a wider audience but it's not there yet. I think graphically consoles are nearing as good as they're ever going to need to be (shit, Tetris still sells), but I'm not sure whats happened to the idea of gameplay. Multiplayer games seem to be the way forward and as much as I love playing with mates, I miss the games you could loose yourself in. I got Assassin's Creed - Path of Neo on Friday (not sure what the whole Matrix take on the game was about) and it got- as all new games have- a resounding "alright" the percentage of game budgets spent on developing ideas pales in comparison with what is spent on marketing. I want genuinely exciting games that you feel lost after completing, I want solo player games that you urge your friends to buy so can share the fun by talking about it. Multiplayer games should be simple, flexible and timeless. The thing I think people have missed about solo games is that they should play like reading your favorite book, you shouldn't want to put it down and you don't want it to end. I guess what i want from the future of gaming, is quality storylines and original ideas, it's pretty much all that's needed really.

No comments: