Wednesday 31 October 2007

first up

Right, to start things off, I'm Jow, nice to speak impersonally with you- the small percentage of vigilant blogger junkies that were tolerant enough to check this out. I was asked to take a look at somebody else's blog and comment about them and their style -I think, anyway I've picked Ralph Koster with "a theory of fun".
I've not a clue who Ralph Koster is, but from the list of suggested blogs to look at his had.. well his had "fun" in the title, so I opened up his page and started peering through his thoughts. His writing style seems like that of what I'd imagine a diary to read like, again I've never kept a diary but I'd like to think I've read enough of Adrian Mole in my childhood to know what one ought to look like. He documents his time in between running around the world promoting his manifesto ("a theory of fun") I've not read this book but paraglyph books said this:

"Ralp Koster (of Sony Online and issue 138's Opinion column) outlines a convincing manifesto for why people do or don't have a good time in computer games in A Theory of Fun. He also makes us feel very, very not smart."

Back to Ralph, reading through a good portion of his blog i feel I've gotten to know him somewhat, and not that I'm particularly good at describing people I think its safe to say that he's a nice enough bloke. He writes as most people do when blogging about something they've set out to specifically document which is somewhere between the realms of objective and personal (at this point I can't help but notice I'm consistently dodging definitive answers- bleh) but saying this Ralph leans far more towards the personal side of things, certainly a good writer, he seems like he has a hectic lifestyle that causes around the same amount of stress as it does fun.

Okay, I've written far to much without touching on me, do I feel comfortable writing for an invisible audience? - Of course I do, I can't see them, as much as I'd like to think I'd use this blog for fun, I'm rubbish at keeping up to date with this sort of thing, for example I have 78 unchecked emails and I've no intention of looking through them anytime soon, However for critical studies I guess I'm going to have to make an exception, Ralph Koster tends to update anywhere between every two days and two weeks, which is admirable considering he's got no one prodding him with a stick, well maybe he does, who knows?

No comments: